- Building a 3D Digital Clock with ArduinoPosted 2 months ago
- Creating a controller for Minecraft with realistic body movements using ArduinoPosted 2 months ago
- Snowflake with ArduinoPosted 3 months ago
- Holographic Christmas TreePosted 3 months ago
- Segstick: Build Your Own Self-Balancing Vehicle in Just 2 Days with ArduinoPosted 3 months ago
- ZSWatch: An Open-Source Smartwatch Project Based on the Zephyr Operating SystemPosted 4 months ago
- What is IoT and which devices to usePosted 4 months ago
- Maker Faire Rome Unveils Thrilling “Padel Smash Future” Pavilion for Sports EnthusiastsPosted 5 months ago
- Make your curtains smartPosted 5 months ago
- Configuring an ESP8266 for Battery PowerPosted 5 months ago
LittleArm Is a Little Robot with a Little Price
The LittleArm is a largely 3D printed robot powered by an Arduino and a couple metal-gear servos. It usually retails for $115, but I noticed they’ve got a holiday special going right now for $95.
According to Gabe Bentz, the creator, the story of LittleArm is a quite refreshing one:
In the Summer of 2016, I was messing around in my garage with a few different project. A bunch of them had something to do with the Arduino. But I wanted a platform that I could test code on before I put it into the prototypes. I decided that I needed a small robot arm.
I went online looking for a kit that I could just put together quickly and cheaply. I couldn’t find one that I really liked. So that weekend I drafted up and printed a couple of designs for a simple robot arm that could be 3D printed.
I started taking my prototypes around to maker groups and a few classrooms where I talk about STEM. Repeatedly, I was approached by people, particularly teachers, that wanted the kit. After talking with the team at Slant Concepts, we decided to try it out. Slant was all set-up to produce 3D printed parts on a greater scale. So we took a couple more days and designed some software and improved printing files for what we started calling the LittleArm.
We put the LittleArm on Kickstarter in August. We really did not know what to expect. But we were funded in under a week, and by the end we had hit 263% of our goal. Immediately we started delivering orders. And since about a third of the units were going to schools, we immediately started building out the website to provide tutorials and teaching resources for teachers. He delivered every order a month ahead of schedule.