- Terminus FE1.1 USB hub board: the solution to connect four USB devicesPosted 4 days ago
- Understanding the Mechanics of 3D PrintingPosted 2 months ago
- SDS011 the Air Quality SensorPosted 3 months ago
- NIXIE STYLE LED DISPLAYPosted 6 months ago
- TOTEM: learning by experimentingPosted 6 months ago
- Google Assistant Voice Controlled Switch – NodeMCU IOT ProjePosted 7 months ago
- Water Softener Salt Level MonitorPosted 7 months ago
- Sparkly Air SensorPosted 7 months ago
- Ultra sonic distance finder with live statusPosted 7 months ago
- Windows interface to have total control over lampsPosted 7 months ago
1Wamp: Open Hardware 1 Watt Guitar Amplifier.
1Wamp is a 1 Watt guitar amplifier loaded with all the features of big amps. It was developed using free open source tools and there is a detailed electronic analysis so everybody can contribute improving it or adding mods.
This portable amplifier features:
- Tone/Volume/Gain controls.
- Speaker/Cabinet output.
- Headphones output with attenuator switch.
- Aux/mp3 input.
- Battery clip.
- 9V DC boss style power input jack.
The preamp stage with two J201 transistors is designed to give a tube-like sound, the Big Muff Pi style tone stage is able to produce a big range of tones and the LM386 output stage can drive 1Watt into any kind of speaker, from headphones to a Marshall 2×12 cabinet.
There is a quick start guide explaining How to build 1Wamp in 5 Steps
In 1Wamp Forum you can share your ideas and check topics like “how to fit the PCB in an enclosure”, use the lightplates, etc…
The schematic was developed using easy-to-find components:
The circuit can be broken down into 5 simpler blocks: JFET Input Stage, Tone Control, JFET Booster, LM386 Power Amplifier and Power Supply:
The functionality is simple: The input stage isolates the amp from the guitar, keeping the signal quality and avoiding tone sucking. Then the tone control shapes the frequency response adding more bass/treble to the mix. The JFET booster will recover the signal after the tone control and prepare it to the Power Amplifier stage that delivers up to 1W.
The aux/mp3 input adds any line level input signal to the guitar sound, allowing to practice with metronome/mp3/youtube backing tracks.
There is a full analysis of every single part of the circuit, so you can understand the functionality of any component and mod or tweak it for your taste (cleaner sounds, more distorted, equalization..)
Bill of Materials:
There is a PDF with the Bill of Materials: 1Wamp-bill-of-materials
Find also below the complete bill of materials, with Mouser/Farnell references and alternatives:
|1Wamp Bill of Materials|
|CON1, CON3||2||6.35 jack.||Jack||NMJ6HCD2|
|D2||1||LED||Standard LEDs mm||VLHW4100|
|8pin dip socket||1||8Pin||IC||4808-3000-CP|
|Plastic Knobs||3||6.35mm||Knob 6.35 mm||450-2023-GRX|
|9V Batt Conn.||1||Clip||9V Battery||121-0526/I-GR|
|Batt. opt clips||2||–||TAB38250568(MSTIN)||TAB38250568|
|* Add Comp.|
|R2, R7||2||10K||Resistor||MF25 10K|
|R3, R8||2*||1K||Resistor||MF25 1K|
The PCB was developed using only free / open source tools: KiCAD.
- 1Wamp is an Open-Hardware project, so all the files are open so anybody can work with them: 1Wamp-Kicad-project
- The transfers for the PCB are also available so in case you want to do your own PCB at home: 1Wamp-layout-transfers