- Get in touch with your Things – SoulissPosted 4 days ago
- Facebook counter – How many Likes to your facebook fanpage?Posted 6 days ago
- How to build an Omni Wheels RobotPosted 11 days ago
- A new board for the 3Drag: there’s more than SanguinololuPosted 20 days ago
- Meet the founders! An interview with Circuits.ioPosted 23 days ago
- An ultra customizable LCD Shield for ArduinoPosted 26 days ago
- Join the FabJam! on the 4th of May!Posted 27 days ago
- Kinect for 3D scansPosted 31 days ago
- A Bluetooth RN-42 Demoboard for experimentationPosted 33 days ago
- An interview with LadyAda, Limor Fried founder of AdafruitPosted 38 days ago
Nokia moves ahead in 3D printing
Probably most of you already noticed this news. From Shapeways:
Nokia have made the rear shell for the Nokia Lumia 820 available to download from their developer site as an STL that can be uploaded and 3D printed by Shapeways or a STEP file that can be opened and parametrically modified by a variety of CAD software such as Solidworks and Inventor.
[...] What makes this really important is that a major manufacturer is making it possible for their customers to add value to their products without any cost to the manufacturer.
Apparently, Nokia wants to regain a position as an innovator in the world of consumer electronics, having been relegated to follower for far too long.
The overall strategy behind the Finnish giant move is difficult to understand: testing how the DIY market reacts ? Checking the to be maturity of desktop 3D printing technologies?
Personally, we wouldn’t surprise by reinterpreted versions of this shell on Shapeways (a good business opportunity indeed) even with nicer materials.
The simplest application could be related to adding advanced features to this cover such as a wire clip or other handy stuff. Interesting opportunities rise in the field of in store, instant personalization. Think to electronics shops.
We have tried to print the case with our 3Drag, however, does not seem an easy task given the level of detail required.
But the results are still good.
What About? Did you? Any idea for a personalization?