- A Car Battery Level Indicator that plugs in your cigar lighter socketPosted 1 day ago
- TORPEDO: an all-purpose switched-mode power supplyPosted 2 weeks ago
- The SEPIC switching convertersPosted 3 weeks ago
- Discover and Design innovative applications in Wireless Power with UsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Octopus, a “tentacular” shield for Arduino and FishinoPosted 1 month ago
- Keychainino: a programmable, playful Key RingPosted 1 month ago
- Let’s Build an open source Quadcopter – Part2Posted 2 months ago
- Let’s Build an open source Quadcopter – Part1Posted 2 months ago
- An open source 3D Scanner made with Raspberry PiPosted 2 months ago
- Open Wheels 2: an all-in-one board to control any of your robotic ProjectsPosted 2 months ago
Machine Series wants to merge FDM and Open Design
Machine Series is a platform that lives between industry and artisans, producing elegant everyday objects through approachable, open source manufacturing technologies. The goal of Machine Series is to craft simplicity out of complexity – to create restrained, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty through the optimisation of outstanding manufacturing techniques, no matter how simple or complex they are.
This first collection is a set of basic tabletop accessories that challenges a classic FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) technique and reduces the outcome to a more purist, Shibui (渋い) aesthetic. The result is a carefully crafted housewares collection consisting of shapes, proportions, and surface finishes that become a fully-finished product the very moment the object is removed from the 3D printerTechnique is Beauty – The focus of this exploration has been to elevate 3D printing – a technology that is very much talked about but is relegated to either cumbersome amateurish results or over expensive artistic applications. We believe that by exploring the full potential of FDM, we are able to create items that are as simple as they are sophisticated and as elegant as they are innovative.
Open Design – In the spirit of accessible manufacturing, Machine Series subscribes to and believes in the principles of open source, making all the files developed to produce the collection available here. In this way, Machine Series is also an invitation to modify, improve, and adapt the collection to new materials, techniques and formal explorations. It is an invitation to open design.