- FairWind: when marine electronics, open source and the University meetPosted 1 day ago
- The Discovery of the Future: Stretchable integrated circuitPosted 2 days ago
- Robots are going to replace developers quicklyPosted 2 days ago
- 3D Prints with Computational HydrographicsPosted 3 days ago
- Open Source into Microsoft’s reality finallyPosted 3 days ago
- Guide to Mobile Apps for 3D DesigningPosted 4 days ago
- A FPGA controlled RGB LED MATRIX for Incredible Effects – the SoftwarePosted 5 days ago
- Ultrasound to aging winePosted 1 week ago
- The Walt Disney’s jewel: MagicBandPosted 1 week ago
- 2017 forecast: Up 31 Percent From 2016 of Internet of Things usedPosted 2 weeks ago
Domestic Science Machines: hacking kitchen tools into Medical Devices
How to hack domestic, kitchen tools and transform it into Medical Devices:
Inspired by hacked laboratory equipment “Domestic Science Machines” are a collection of devices that combine the regular use of home appliances with a scientific function in order to make scientific experiments accessible and available to a wider audience.
The coffee machine functions as a regular drip coffee machine, yet transforms into a spectrometer to analyse materials.
The temperature controlled slow cooker can be used as a PCR cycler for growing DNA.
The salad spinner is easily modified into a centrifuge, for separating liquids, whilst the portable microscope allows for playful explorations from an unusual scale.
Basing the designs around the familiarity of household objects makes it easier for people to engage with scientific instruments without prior experience. The use of wood and ceramics instead of plastic and metal are a contrast to the look of scientific instruments, that are often cold and uninviting.