- Analyzing Semiconductor with a set of simple toolsPosted 1 week ago
- A RTC SHIELD for Arduino and Raspberry Pi, second partPosted 2 weeks ago
- A RTC SHIELD for Arduino and Raspberry PiPosted 3 weeks ago
- A Car Battery Level Indicator that plugs in your cigar lighter socketPosted 4 weeks ago
- TORPEDO: an all-purpose switched-mode power supplyPosted 1 month ago
- The SEPIC switching convertersPosted 2 months ago
- Discover and Design innovative applications in Wireless Power with UsPosted 2 months ago
- Octopus, a “tentacular” shield for Arduino and FishinoPosted 2 months ago
- Keychainino: a programmable, playful Key RingPosted 2 months ago
- Let’s Build an open source Quadcopter – Part2Posted 3 months ago
Domestic Science Machines: hacking kitchen tools into Medical Devices
How to hack domestic, kitchen tools and transform it into Medical Devices:
Inspired by hacked laboratory equipment “Domestic Science Machines” are a collection of devices that combine the regular use of home appliances with a scientific function in order to make scientific experiments accessible and available to a wider audience.
The coffee machine functions as a regular drip coffee machine, yet transforms into a spectrometer to analyse materials.
The temperature controlled slow cooker can be used as a PCR cycler for growing DNA.
The salad spinner is easily modified into a centrifuge, for separating liquids, whilst the portable microscope allows for playful explorations from an unusual scale.
Basing the designs around the familiarity of household objects makes it easier for people to engage with scientific instruments without prior experience. The use of wood and ceramics instead of plastic and metal are a contrast to the look of scientific instruments, that are often cold and uninviting.