- A full featured mp3 DemoboardPosted 1 week ago
- A 32-BIT FISHINO board for your powerful IoT!Posted 4 weeks ago
- FairWind: when marine electronics, open source and the University meetPosted 4 weeks ago
- The Discovery of the Future: Stretchable integrated circuitPosted 4 weeks ago
- Robots are going to replace developers quicklyPosted 4 weeks ago
- 3D Prints with Computational HydrographicsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Open Source into Microsoft’s reality finallyPosted 4 weeks ago
- Guide to Mobile Apps for 3D DesigningPosted 1 month ago
- A FPGA controlled RGB LED MATRIX for Incredible Effects – the SoftwarePosted 1 month ago
- Ultrasound to aging winePosted 1 month ago
Domestic Science Machines: hacking kitchen tools into Medical Devices
How to hack domestic, kitchen tools and transform it into Medical Devices:
Inspired by hacked laboratory equipment “Domestic Science Machines” are a collection of devices that combine the regular use of home appliances with a scientific function in order to make scientific experiments accessible and available to a wider audience.
The coffee machine functions as a regular drip coffee machine, yet transforms into a spectrometer to analyse materials.
The temperature controlled slow cooker can be used as a PCR cycler for growing DNA.
The salad spinner is easily modified into a centrifuge, for separating liquids, whilst the portable microscope allows for playful explorations from an unusual scale.
Basing the designs around the familiarity of household objects makes it easier for people to engage with scientific instruments without prior experience. The use of wood and ceramics instead of plastic and metal are a contrast to the look of scientific instruments, that are often cold and uninviting.