- An Electric Speed Control for DC motorsPosted 1 week ago
- The BF 15+15W open source power ampPosted 4 weeks ago
- The Strato Pi UPS boardPosted 1 month ago
- Analyzing Semiconductor with a set of simple toolsPosted 2 months ago
- A RTC SHIELD for Arduino and Raspberry Pi, second partPosted 2 months ago
- A RTC SHIELD for Arduino and Raspberry PiPosted 2 months ago
- A Car Battery Level Indicator that plugs in your cigar lighter socketPosted 2 months ago
- TORPEDO: an all-purpose switched-mode power supplyPosted 3 months ago
- The SEPIC switching convertersPosted 3 months ago
- Discover and Design innovative applications in Wireless Power with UsPosted 3 months ago
Domestic Science Machines: hacking kitchen tools into Medical Devices
How to hack domestic, kitchen tools and transform it into Medical Devices:
Inspired by hacked laboratory equipment “Domestic Science Machines” are a collection of devices that combine the regular use of home appliances with a scientific function in order to make scientific experiments accessible and available to a wider audience.
The coffee machine functions as a regular drip coffee machine, yet transforms into a spectrometer to analyse materials.
The temperature controlled slow cooker can be used as a PCR cycler for growing DNA.
The salad spinner is easily modified into a centrifuge, for separating liquids, whilst the portable microscope allows for playful explorations from an unusual scale.
Basing the designs around the familiarity of household objects makes it easier for people to engage with scientific instruments without prior experience. The use of wood and ceramics instead of plastic and metal are a contrast to the look of scientific instruments, that are often cold and uninviting.